Boreskov Institute of Catalysis was founded in 1958 as a part of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The founder and the first Director of the Institute till 1984 was academician Georgii Konstantinovich Boreskov.
Based in Novosibirsk, Boreskov Institute of Catalysis of Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Science is the largest research centre in the world, specialized in catalysis. The BIC’s R&D activities span the areas from basic research in the field of catalysis to the development of new catalysts and catalytic technologies and to designing pilot plants for the catalysts manufacturing. The main fields of catalytic research at the Boreskov Institute of Catalysis are establishment of general physicochemical regularities of catalysis, development of scientific bases for molecular design of materials and implementation of catalytic processes; creation of new generation catalysts for chemical and energy efficient technologies, refinery and petrochemical industries, as well as creation of catalysts and technologies for innovative application areas.