South Africa's upstream oil and natural gas sectors are dominated by the state-owned company Petroleum Oil and Gas Corporation of South Africa (PetroSA).
PetroSA operates all upstream oil and natural gas producing assets in South Africa, along with the GTL plant at Mossel Bay. Locally, they operate the FA-EM, South Coast and F-O gas fields. In addition, the company have exploration acreage on the West Coast of South Africa. Internationally, PetroSA have producing and development assets in Ghana.
The company holds a portfolio of assets that spans the petroleum value chain.
The core business activities of PetroSA are:
- The exploration and production of oil and natural gas
- The participation in, and acquisition of, local as well as international upstream petroleum ventures
- The production of synthetic fuels from offshore gas at one of the world’s largest Gas-to-Liquid (GTL) refineries in Mossel Bay, South Africa
- The development of domestic refining and liquid fuels logistical infrastructure
- The marketing and trading of oil and petrochemicals.